If you're thinking about adopting a more plant-based diet, here are some tips to help you transition, Root Kitchen aren't gonna leave you hangin' after Veganuary
1. Eat your veggies! Make sure you are filling at least half your plate with vegetables for lunch and dinner. Make sure you are getting plenty of colours and eat the rainbow (not skittles). Use hummus, salsa, or guacamole to make tem even more delicious.
2. Meat doesn't always have to be the centre of your plate. Try having less and begin to see it as an addition (if you still need it) instead of the main event.
3. Not all fats are bad. Olive oil, olives, nuts and nut butters, seeds, and avocados are crammed with healthy fats. So eat these quality calories.
4. If you're just starting out on your plant-based journey, why not try to cook a vegetarian meal at least one night a week. Use beans, whole grains, and vegetables to build your meals.
5. Whole grains rule for breakfast! Oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, or barley are all sources of slow release carbs, add in some nuts, seeds along or fresh fruit and you off to a great start to the day.
6. Go green. Green leafy veggies like kale, chard, spinach, are an awesome source of iron. Make sure you steam, grill, braise, or stir-fry them to preserve their flavour and nutrients.
7. Build yours meals around the green stuff. Fill your bowls with salad variants including romaine, spinach, Bibb, or red leafy greens. Add an assortment of other vegetables and mix things up by experimenting with fresh herbs, beans, beans, or seitan.
8. Pick fruit for your dessert. Peaches, watermelon slices, or juicy apples will satisfy your sweet tooth after meals.
Oh and remember, everyone slips up from time to time! Don't feel guilty if you accidentally eat something containing dairy, you have made the decision to eat more plants so if everyone did the same think of the difference we could all make!